[ExI] FW: ants again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Sep 20 03:17:10 UTC 2008

If anyone wishes to speculate on whether ants jump or fall out of trees, do
so today, for I will have the answer tomorrow.

I intentionally allowed my orange trees to be filled with ants by creating a
bridge over the sticky ant barrier (gak).  The ants found it within minutes
and were crossing both directions, over the gak.  So shortly the tree will
be filled with ants.  Then I created a gak pit, which is a 20 cm diameter
circle of gak on a sheet of white paper.  Any ant falling onto the gak pit
cannot escape, nor can she be joined by an outsider, so she must have fallen
from the tree.  Any ant in the gak pit now must have fallen.  In a tomorrow
I will remove the bridge, trapping the ants in the tree.  Those that end up
in the gak pit after that will be jumpers.

Last chance: jump or fall?