[ExI] The Size of the Universe

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Sep 28 22:15:39 UTC 2008

I Just thought I'd follow up my exposition of Guth's marvelous
presentation (see below)  with some of Tegmark's remarks
from his great http://it.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0302131 :

    "The farthest you can observe is the distance that light
    has been able to travel during the 14 billion years since
    the big bang expansion began. The most distant visible
    objects are about 4x10^26 meters away."

Remember this handy trick:  there are 10^16 meters per lightyear.

    [Tegmark adds the following in a footnote at this point]
    "After emitting the light that is now reaching us, the
    most distant things we can see have receded because
    of the cosmic expansion, and are now about 46 billion
    light years away."

(I corrected his figure slightly to agree with the most recent
sources.) Therefore the *diameter* of our visible universe
is 92 billion lightyears.

Still---the unwashed (all over the web) continue through their
benightedness to insist on the simplistic figure of 13.7 lightyears
for the radius---as if no expansion were taking place. Beware!

The central truths here

   1. We see things that are 46 billion light years away.

   2. They were about 45 million light years away when,
      at 300,000 AB, they sent out photons that are
      finally arriving here today. [See Guths figures
      and explanations in the addendum to this post]

That's a factor of about 1000! Those objects are about one
thousand times further away now than when they sent their light
to us 13.4 billion years ago (i.e., when the universe became
transparent .3 billion years after the big bang). So the usual
size given by people for the visible universe is way off.

The first four pages of Tegmark's article are fairly easy to
follow (if you remember the trick above for converting
meters to lightyears).

The first page is mostly what I said above, but with more detail

The second page is a gorgeous depiction of the four levels.
Print it out and tape it to your refrigerator.

Level One: our own infinite universe (i.e., our bubble, both
of which I have christened "Bruno", after the first modern man,
or "Lucretius Bruno" to give them both credit. They claimed
that space was infinite and had infinitely many suns, and
Bruno was burned at the stake for so saying so.[note A]

Page three describes the uniformity of structures bigger than
about 300,000,000 million lightyears, a small fraction of
our Hubble volume (i.e. visible universe). After that, it looks
uniform. Therefore since 300,000,000 goes into 46 billion
about 150 times, there are about 150x150x150, or about
four million homogeneous volumes that we can see inside
our Hubble Volume (our visible universe). So it's pretty absurd
to think that we are sitting in the middle of all that there is.
(Picture our *visible* universe being tiled by millions of
homogeneous patches, to say nothing of what lies beyond.)

Writes Tegmark at the bottom of page 3:

     Barring conspiracy theories where the universe is
     designed to fool us, the observations thus speak
     loud and clear: space as we know it continues far
     beyond the edge of our observable universe,
     teeming with galaxies, stars, and planets.

Lee

[A] For a good essay on Bruno please see
http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Philosophy-Giordano-Bruno.htm

Also there you will find

    http://members.aol.com/pantheism0/brunphil.htm

    "Fantastic site on Giordano Bruno pantheist philosophy.
    From the great Roman poet Lucretius, Bruno took two of
    his central ideas: an infinite Space with infinite worlds,
    and matter that was made up of discrete atoms combining
    in different ways to make up all the diversity we see."

So Lucretius and Bruno saw the truth first. I now put forth
the suggestion publicly, that the official name of our universe,
our Level One infinite universe, our Level Two bubble be
henceforth "Lucretius Bruno".

Lee