[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 6 04:33:03 UTC 2009

Damien Broderick:

>all that time I've remained dumbfounded
> that you can't see that these are two entirely
> independent and different propositions, John.

I know you disagree with me and you are hardly alone. It's been going on
far too long for me to be dumbfounded anymore, but I am saddened by the
persistence of superstition.

> There is no demonstrable reason for thinking
> that a suitable silicon (or platinum-iridium positronium)
> substrate couldn't emulate a mind.

That is obviously true.

> Going from that near-truism to your suicidal
> proposition is a complete
> non-sequitur that ignores *point of view*.

That is obviously false, UNLESS my basic premise is untrue. Talking as if
there were two different points of view among beings with identical
memories, constructed with identical instructions and using atoms the
scientific method cannot distinguish between might make some sense;
provided the soul existed. It's complete gibberish otherwise.

As I said vitalism is always there just under the surface.

 John K Clark