[ExI] Mind Uploading article in Wikipedia

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 9 19:00:29 UTC 2009

Jordan Hazen wrote (4/5/2009 5:52 AM)

> On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 04:44:31PM -0400, Isabelle Hakala wrote:
>> One of the things that occurs to me about mind uploading is this...
>> I would want to upload my mind, and let that 'simulation' run for,
>> oh... say a decade, without any outside influences, and me still
>> living in the outside world, and then compare notes with my uploaded
>> self.
>
> Could you elaborate on "without any outside influences?"  Hopefully
> this doesn't mean keeping the upload isolated from the world?
>
> I'd think that such an extended period of sensory deprivation would be
> extremely unhealthy, perhaps even a recipe for insanity-- at the
> least, very stunted development--

Surely it would depend on what mood you were in while
this was ongoing, e.g., moods can in theory be completely
determined by drugs.

Often after *some* kinds of extremely hectic days, *some*
people would really like total sensory deprivation. In fact,
sometimes when I'm trying to think clearly about some pure
math problem, that would be great.

So I conclude that the upload would have a variety of simulated
dials appearing to overlay his apparent sensory input, and the
one that says "volume" might be turned down clear to zero with
utterly no harm---again, if mood control is provided by, say,
some other knobs.

Lee

  especially considering how much