[ExI] What's wrong with Maher's Religulous?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 17:44:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> I had been wondering whether to rent Religulous, having read some things
> that made me doubt it would be worthwhile. This review confirmed those
> doubts:
> http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/earticle/6447/

I have not seen this film yet, but the review gave me pause regarding
some ideological details of the New Atheism, a current for which I
have a soft spot myself.

In particular, I could not care less about the concerns of
Brendan O’Neill on whether new atheists are really "humanists" or not
- in fact, anthropocentrism is something that must overcome even more
quickly than man itself -; but I found somewhat disquieting the
author's allusions to a profoundly "anti-sublime", anti-promethean,
not to mention "millenialist",  spirit which would pervade at least in
part New Atheism's mentality, a few echos of which I easily find in
authors such as Hitchens.

--
Stefano Vaj