[ExI] Where’s my body’s Control Panel?

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 01:04:20 UTC 2009

2009/4/14 John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> If I’m right then a blind man in a fog bank could detect the
> existence of ET. So where the hell is he? It seems to me that either we’re
> the first or there is a hidden disaster of some sort that slaps down all
> intelligent races when they get too smart.

There's another possibility, which is that before ETs get to space
travel, they find something else which makes the whole endeavor moot.
Perhaps there are doors to other universes hidden in the subatomic
particles, something like that? Hopefully something less banal than
that. Anyway, the filter is always interpreted as destructive, but it
needn't be so.

And, of course, there's the possibility that we are looking at
something comprehensively engineered, but are currently too stupid &
ignorant to be able to figure that out. What would an engineered
universe look like, if we go beyond trite space opera? If, before you
colonize the galaxy, you first engineer yourself out of Middle
World[1], then your mega engineering might look to the primitives like
very strange rules of physics that almost make sense but not quite.
Somehow that seems familiar :-)

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related