[ExI] R: The Chattering Hemisphere

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Apr 17 03:17:21 UTC 2009

Serafino writes

> Jill telling here her story
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU
>
> No, I do not 'hear' all that chattering (at least in Italian).

Thanks for the link. It resembles the book in that the
first part is the best. I find that for this video
the first 20% is fine, (in fact, very good). Then she
gets into "my right hemisphere is at one with the universe",
"I am connected to everything in the universe".

She flatly contradicts what Robert Ornstein, in the
more thorough book "The Right Mind" says. He says
that it's the *right* brain that exhibits negative
emotions, e.g. disgust, hatred, annoyance, and so on
and the left hemisphere exudes the positive emotions.

I really liked her remark (old as it may be for many
of you) that the right brain does parallel processing
and the left brain serial processing.

> There are interesting sports, like pistol target-shooting,
> in which you may think that both hemispheres play a role.
> Actually it is well known that any inner verbalization
> (chattering?) severely interferes with other processes
> like sights alignment, focus on the front sight, smooth trigger
> release at the right moment, holding the gun steadily, etc.
> So - as shooters say - the best shot is a sub-conscious 'surprise'.

Nice example. She does mention in the book that mantras
are said over and over in such a way that, in effect,
(my words) the left hemisphere chatter has become
inconsequential or meaningless. But I've never heard
of mantras for archery or pistol target-shooting!

Lee