[ExI] META: proper authentication

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 12:01:28 UTC 2009

On 12/1/09, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> I have been having a problem ever since I returned to the list: the host
> reva.xtremeunix.com seems to like to bounce my emails, saying
> "Relaying denied. Proper authentication required."
>
>  The reason is likely that I use a wide variety of computers and mailboxes,
> connecting to Oxford mail servers to send my email. No doubt that looks
> suspicious to the reva server. But exactly what is needed to get it to accept my
> email?

The problem isn't reva.xtrmeunix.com. - It's you.    :)

When you swap around networks, you have to change your outgoing
mailserver to use the mailserver for the network that you're on. This
is a common problem on laptops, for example. Connecting from office or
home means using a different mailserver.

How you do the change depends on what software you're using.
Your tech department might be able to set up an automated solution for
you, to save you tinkering with SMTP setup every time you move.

Cheers, BillK