[ExI] climategate again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 1 19:06:23 UTC 2009

Peter Watts on the topic (I found the link on Charlie Stross's blog):

http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=886

Because As We All Know, The Green Party Runs the World.

... I like to reserve these pixels for cool stuff, cutting edges that
may or may not pan out, findings of interest (and frequently, of
contention). Anthropogenic Climate Change hasn’t qualified for years;
the science is settled, the effect is real, and the only uncertainty
among the folks who actually know their shit is whether we’re in for a
bad ride or a downright catastrophic one. The “debate”, such as it is,
is political and entirely dishonest at its heart. Climate-change
skeptics like to portray themselves as a feisty rebel alliance speaking
truth to power, up against a colossal green propaganda machine calling
all the shots— a little like the way Glen Beck and Bill O’Reilly like to
portray US Christians as an endangered species. Anyone familiar with the
Bush administration’s environmental censorship of NASA, the EPA, and its
own military knows how ridiculous that is. I have better things to do
than research every objection raised by (as Bruce Sterling calls them)
shortsighted sociopathic morons who don’t want to lose any money. (I
would recommend How to Talk to a Climate Change Skeptic, however, to
anyone who does want to fit a couple of denialists in between the
Jehovah’s Witnesses and Birthers lined up on their stoops. It addresses
all the usual canards, from warming-stopped-in-1998 right out to
global-warming-on-Pluto.)

I also generally avoid going on about stuff that’s already getting a lot
of press elsewhere; if you saw it on slashdot, boingboing, or the NY
Times I’ll be giving it a pass unless it’s really central to my current
interests, simply because the blogosphere will already be writhing with
opinions on the subject and mine has probably been better put by someone
with better insight.

Now.  In what can hardly be a coincidence, just a few weeks before the
Copenhagen summit the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East
Anglia got hacked. The sixty-odd megabytes of confidential e-mails that
ended up littering the whole damn internet either a) blew the lid off a
global conspiracy to fake the global warming crisis, or b) lay there in
a big sludgy pile of boring communications about birthdays, conference
meet-ups, and whether or not Poindexter over at Cal State was going to
be allowed into the tree fort this year. Judging by the criteria I
described at the top of the post, I should just stick my fingers in my
ears and hum loudly until the current shitstorm abates.

But I’m not going to. Not this time.

I haven’t read all 62MB. I’ve read hardly any of it, in fact. I’m
familiar with the money shots: the “Nature trick” used to “hide the
decline” (and sorry folks, anybody who’s ever run a residual analysis
knows there’s nothing nefarious about the word “trick” in this context.
Besides, climatologists need hookers same as Republicans). I’ve read the
e-mail-deletion thread, seen quotes that decry evil denialists and call
for the censure of skeptic-friendly journal editors. The very conditions
under which these e-mails were released makes it entirely plausible that
some of them were forged; but at least some of the more controversial
bits have been verified as legitimate by their authors. I don’t have
much to say about any of that; maybe it’s all real, maybe it’s been
spiked, none of it compromises the overwhelming weight of evidence in
favor of anthropogenic climate change. Whatever.

No, what I want to address here is the attitude of the scientists, and
how that relates to the way science actually works.

I keep running into recurring commentary on the snarkiness of the
scientists behind these e-mails. They’re really entrenched, people seem
surprised to note. Got a real siege mentality going on, speak unkindly
of the skeptics, take all kinds of cheap shots unbecoming of the lab
coat. These people can be downright assholes.

No shit, Sherlock. I was a scientist myself for the longest time, and
the people I’d gladly drop into a vat of nitric acid start with the Pope
and go all the way down to anyone who voted for Stephen Harper’s
conservatives.

The apologists have stepped up, pointed out that these were private
conversations and we shouldn’t expect them to carry the same veneer of
civility that one would expect in a public presentation. “Science
doesn’t work because we’re all nice,” remarked one widely-quoted NASA
climatologist. “Newton may have been an ass, but the theory of gravity
still works.”

No. I don’t think he’s got it right. I don’t think most of these people do.

Science doesn’t work despite scientists being asses. Science works, to
at least some extent, because scientists are asses. Bickering and
backstabbing are essential elements of the process. Haven’t any of these
guys ever heard of “peer review”?

There’s this myth in wide circulation: rational, emotionless Vulcans in
white coats, plumbing the secrets of the universe, their Scientific
Methods unsullied by bias or emotionalism. Most people know it’s a myth,
of course; they subscribe to a more nuanced view in which scientists are
as petty and vain and human as anyone (and as egotistical as any
therapist or financier), people who use scientific methodology to tamp
down their human imperfections and manage some approximation of objectivity.

But that’s a myth too. The fact is, we are all humans; and humans come
with dogma as standard equipment. We can no more shake off our biases
than Liz Cheney could pay a compliment to Barack Obama. The best we can
do— the best science can do— is make sure that at least, we get to
choose among competing biases.

That’s how science works. It’s not a hippie love-in; it’s rugby. Every
time you put out a paper, the guy you pissed off at last year’s Houston
conference is gonna be laying in wait. Every time you think you’ve made
a breakthrough, that asshole supervisor who told you you needed more
data will be standing ready to shoot it down. You want to know how the
Human Genome Project finished so far ahead of schedule? Because it was
the Human Genome projects, two competing teams locked in bitter rivalry,
one led by J. Craig Venter, one by Francis Collins — and from what I
hear, those guys did not like each other at all.

This is how it works: you put your model out there in the coliseum, and
a bunch of guys in white coats kick the shit out of it. If it’s still
alive when the dust clears, your brainchild receives conditional
acceptance. It does not get rejected. This time.

Yes, there are mafias. There are those spared the kicking because they
have connections. There are established cliques who decide what appears
in Science, who gets to give a spoken presentation and who gets kicked
down to the poster sessions with the kiddies. I know a couple of people
who will probably never get credit for the work they’ve done, for the
insights they’ve produced. But the insights themselves prevail. Even if
the establishment shoots the messenger, so long as the message is valid
it will work its way into the heart of the enemy’s camp. First it will
be ridiculed. Then it will be accepted as true, but irrelevant. Finally,
it will be embraced as canon, and what’s more everyone will know that it
was always so embraced, and it was Our Glorious Leader who had the idea.
The credit may not go to those who deserve it; but the field will have
moved forward.

Science is so powerful that it drags us kicking and screaming towards
the truth despite our best efforts to avoid it. And it does that at
least partly fueled by our pettiness and our rivalries. Science is
alchemy: it turns shit into gold. Keep that in mind the next time some
blogger decries the ill manners of a bunch of climate scientists under
continual siege by forces with vastly deeper pockets and much louder
megaphones.

As for me, I’ll follow the blogs with interest and see how this all
shakes out. But even if someone, somewhere, proves that a handful of
climatologists deliberately fudged their findings — well, I’ll be there
with everyone else calling to have the bastards run out of town, but it
won’t matter much in terms of the overall weight of the data.  I went
running through Toronto the other day on a 17°C November afternoon.
Canada’s west coast is currently underwater. Sea level continues its
3mm/yr creep up the coasts of the world, the western Siberian permafrost
turns to slush. Swathes of California and Australia are pretty much
permanent firestorm zones these days. The glaciers retreat, the Arctic
ice cap shrinks, a myriad migratory species still show up at their
northern destinations weeks before they’re supposed to. The pine beetle
furthers its westward invasion, leaving dead forests in its wake— the
winters, you see, are no longer cold enough to hit that lethal reset
button that once kept their numbers in check.

I could go on, but you get my drift. And if the Climate-Change Hoax
Machine is powerful enough to do all that, you know what?

They deserve to win.
This entry was written by Peter Watts , posted on Sunday November 22
2009at 08:11 pm , filed under climate, scilitics .
[see link at top for comments]