[ExI] Spirited molecules

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 04:09:39 UTC 2009

2009/12/4 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> ...Which reminds me of a question I have wondered about for a long time,
> speaking of nitrogen compounds.  Words that are often used to describe an
> explosion are, for instance, kaBOOM and kerBLOOEY and kaBANG and such.
> Please those who speak European languages, do those anamonapoetic terms
> have
> equivalents in your language?  If so, does it have the ka?  What is the ka?
> Why isn't it merely BOOM and BANG?  Is there some actual compressible fluid
> effect that causes some kind of sensation of ka before the sound wave
> arrives?  I have a notion of what that might be, but will only propose it
> if
> I know it isn't a meaningless Yankeeism.

Isn't the audible pop of a balloon caused by air collapsing inwards?

In an explosion, it probably is the outward rush that generates the "ka"
followed by the collapse that makes the "boom"

I think the air rushing into the space recently vacated by an expanse of the
charcoal lighter fluid 'going up' that makes the "woof" sound too.