[ExI] Tolerance

Post Futurist p0stfuturist at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 00:21:45 UTC 2009

What interests me about someone such as a Dawkins is not what he says but what he doesn't say, concerning his ambition.
 If there is no God, then what fills the vacuum left by God's absence? Dawkins or someone else fills the void. So you replace one god with another; you replace a metaphysical god with a secular deity. Rather than place your money in an offering basket at church, you spend the funds on, say, 'The God Delusion', or 'The Greatest Show On Earth'; go to a lecture or watch a DVD by Dawkins or someone of his sort. And the secular deity stands on the podium like a priest standing in his pulpit.
As the medium is the message, so too is the messenger the medium: the secular messiah's message is "God is dead, but I am alive; and I offer an enlightenment you might want in place of God's."

>> Dawkins arguments aren't at all like what you suggest.
But I could not even stand listening to Dawkins for more than
a few minutes in a TED talk. There was just something so... so
fanatical and almost dogmatic, that I had to stop. And this
fits the picture of someone who'd coin that ridiculous concept
of "brights", such a stupid and embarrassing fiasco. Alas, it
seems to me that the Jacobin temperament is alive and well even
among us atheists.