[ExI] Tolerance

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 10 01:17:07 UTC 2009

...On Behalf Of Emlyn
> <http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2009/12/09/dawkins-offers-delusion-removal
> > -service-for-bereaved-and-dying/>
> >
> > Dawkins offers delusion removal service for bereaved and dying
> >
> > 'Face Reality Now', a new 'delusion removal' service set up
> by Richard
> > Dawkins, offers the soon to be bereaved an opportunity to confront
> > their dying friends and relations with their mortality.
>
> Nice :-)

Emlyn I think the whole thing was a parody, sort of like the Onion.

> ...deathbed
> conversions. He said that it happens, but that it was far
> more common for people to lose their faith at the end... Emlyn

My personal observations go as deep as exactly one data point, and it was a
late realization that this particular fundamentalist religion was wrong.
That particular conversion was most dramatic however.  WW1 veteran gunner on
a US Navy submarine, volunteer.  He got religion while under the sea
(Seventh Day Adventist) and decided he couldn't fire the guns if ordered to
do so.  So he realized he must turn himself in to his commander and end up
in the brig, followed by a dishonorable discharge.  But before he could do
so, that mercifully short war came to an end.

60 years went by.  He was a church leader.  One day he was up front, made a
most remarkable speech.  Jesus was not coming.  We had been wrong.  He died
five weeks later.