[ExI] atheism

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:50:35 UTC 2009

2009/12/11 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> I'll bet you are a atheist regarding Zeus and Thor and the Flying Spaghetti
> Monster, as Dawkins says he just goes one god further. Agnostics make the
> logical error of assuming that if there is no evidence that something exists
> and no evidence that it does not then there is a 50% chance its real.

Yes. I also think that a difference exists between belief and faith.

Do I believe that my cat is sleeping right now? Yes, and to form such an
opinion I need not a incontrovertible demonstration that the opposite is not
true. This is just an assumption I make.

Monotheistic relgions are about the idea that not only does God empirically
exists in the same sense of you and me, and has certain features, but that
you have a moral duty to believe it, and/or that all this can be
demonstrated or otherwise recognised as "evident".

Now, I think that on the contrary I may be entitled to believe that the
christian God does not exist simply because I see no reasons to believe
otherwise and because the concept has been innumerable times deconstructed
as a cultural  artifact rather than as a philosophical necessity.

--
Stefano Vaj