[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 18 10:15:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 09:58:34AM +0000, BillK wrote:

> Because it hasn't been done yet.

Nothing is done until it's done.

> And I think that our present computing systems will probably have

Our present capabilities are quite impressive. A 300 or 400 mm
wafer is a lot of real estate. Especially if you approach ~nm
device geometries. What you do with that potential is of course
up to you.

> great difficulty in achieving it. (Though they might achieve
> reasonable simulations of it).

So chess computers don't play chess, they only simulate playing chess.

> Once systems with thousands of processors and multi-streamed logic
> become common, we're in a different ball-game. But it will take new

They are common. They are called clusters. We're in meganode country
now.

> programming techniques and new software to fully utilize these
> systems.

You don't need anything beyond MPI, a lot of cores on a 3d lattice
signalling mesh and a decent morphogenetic darwinian system. I could
have said that 20 years ago. Wait, I did.

> This problem is one of those that will be overtaken by circumstances.
> Once it has been done, everyone will say it is obvious and a
> non-problem.

Positive feedback enhancement runaway by *real* personal computers
is obvious and a non-problem?