[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 10:41:37 UTC 2009

On 12/18/09, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> They are common. They are called clusters. We're in meganode country
>  now.
>
> You don't need anything beyond MPI, a lot of cores on a 3d lattice
>  signalling mesh and a decent morphogenetic darwinian system. I could
>  have said that 20 years ago. Wait, I did.

Yes, but.....
See:
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10407818-264.html>
December 2, 2009
Intel hopes 48-core chip will solve new challenges

"The machine will be capable of understanding the world around them
much as humans do," Rattner said. "They will see and hear and probably
speak and do a number of other things that resemble human-like
capabilities, and will demand as a result very (powerful) computing
capability."

The Tera-scale project doesn't fundamentally address one of the big
challenges in today's computing industry, though: getting multicore
chips to run today's computing jobs that are often designed to run as
a single thread of instructions rather than independent tasks running
in parallel.

Tera-scale Computing Research Program
<http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/Tera-Scale/1421.htm>

> Positive feedback enhancement runaway by *real* personal computers
>  is obvious and a non-problem?

Different problem.  *That* problem happens after computers achieve
self awareness and the ability to self=improve.

BillK