[ExI] Sick of Cyberspace?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 18 11:46:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:19:37PM +0100, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> I come myself from "wet transhumanism" (bio/cogno), and while I got in

I figured out in vivo patching wasn't going to be feasible within
natural lifetimes when I was around 17. From what has gone so far
(almost 30 years) it looks like I was correct. Another 30-40
years and I'll be distinctly past caring. Very little left to
patch, if any.

> touch with the movement exactly out of curiosity to learn more about
> the "hard", "cyber/cyborg" side of things, I am persuased the next era

Cyborg belongs into in vivo patching cathegory. Doesn't work either,
at least if implants in life extension and capabilities amplification
are concerned. Wearable stuff is fine. Implanted stuff is no good.

You'll notice we're not even in decent wearable cathegory. I would
have bet good money a decade ago we would have normal people using HMDs
and HUDs out in the streets by now.

> is still about chemistry, and, that when it will stops being there
> will be little difference between the two.

When we're talking about convergence, it's mostly convergence towards
the nanoscale. The dry/stiff versus solvated/floppy isn't going to
converge at all. There doesn't seem a lot of need for volatiles, apart
from cooling and power supply maybe.

> In other words, if we are becoming machines, machines are becoming
> "chemical" and "organic" at an even faster pace (carbon rather than
> steel and silicon, biochips, nano...).

Organic is one thing, biology another. It's a safe bet there will
be zero proteins, DNA, lipid bilayers or water in the result after
convergence.