[ExI] Sick of Cyberspace?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 04:54:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc>wrote:

> Yes, of course.  Hello folks!
>
> Now, getting back to the issue - the fact that machines are becoming
> chemical is the area. The organic machine has been used metaphorically for
> quite some time.  How do you see a machine being injected with
> biochemistry?
> You are correct with biochips, which uses bits of DNA as an outreach agent.
> The microchip is made from macromolecules instead of semiconductor, but
> doesn't it also use silicon?  Which is it? But this is more of what I was
> looking for. Thanks.   Long way from the cybernetic connectivity of
> cyberspace, but I suppose if the brain's matter which houses personal
> identity could be secreted onto a microchip ...
> And then this gets into Anders' area, and we are back to whole brain
> emulation but from a different set of media.

OLED are now available in consumer HD TVs.  That's a considerable step to
putting organics to use in a domain that had previously only been done with
LCD (chemistry?) and Plasma/CRT (physics?).

I would also like to see more articles on DNA origami:
http://www.blog.speculist.com/archives/001864.html

A Sierpinski gasket made of DNA?  "That's Crazy!"  (crazy awesome)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_nanotechnology