[ExI] Name for carbon project

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 16:30:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM,  BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/15/09, Keith Henson wrote:
>> A few of you have been following my work on solving the energy and
>>  carbon problems.  Regardless of how you feel about carbon, energy
>>  really is a problem, one that if not solved could really make a mess
>>  of world civilization.
>>
>>  Unfortunately attention is focused on carbon and relatively little on
>>  the energy problem even though the two are deeply connected.  Here is
>>  one:
>>  http://www.virgin.com/subsites/virginearth/
>>
>>  To have any chance of competing for the prize, the focus must be on
>>  sequestering carbon.  That's relatively easy and painless if we
>>  produce 15 TW of power satellites beyond human energy needs and use it
>>  to make synthetic oil for storage in empty oil fields.
>
> Looks like Sandia National Labs already have a solution.
>
> <http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2009-11/co2-recycler-uses-sunlight-turn-waste-carbon-back-fuel>
>
> New Reactor Uses Sunlight to Turn Water and Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel
> By Clay Dillow Posted 11.23.2009
>
> Talk about a Eureka moment. Scientists at Sandia National Labs,
> seeking a means to create cheap and abundant hydrogen to power a
> hydrogen economy, realized they could use the same technology to
> "reverse-combust" CO2 back into fuel. Researchers still have to
> improve the efficiency of the system, but they recently demonstrated a
> working prototype of their "Sunshine to Petrol" machine that converts
> waste CO2 to carbon monoxide, and then syngas, consuming nothing but
> solar energy.
> -------------
>
> BillK

Bill, the problem is not the high school chemistry, but the energy
source to make the hydrogen.

The US uses about 20 million bbls of oil a day.  To make that much
synthetic fuel would take a dedicated 2 TW.

Nothing wrong with "pop sci" but you need to apply better tests than
the reporter or for that matter, the people who funded this work.

Someone suggested Carbon+ in the mode of H+.  But more carbon isn't
the concept.  So another suggestion is Carbon-  (Carbon minus.)

Comments?

Keith