[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 19:41:26 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 12/19/09, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> A mechanical punch card reader from half a century ago knows that
> particular hole is a symbol that means "put this card in the third
> column from the left". How do we know this, because the
> machine put the card in the third column from the left.

In other words you want to think that if something causes X to do Y then we can assume X actually knows how to do Y.

That idea entails panpsychism; the theory that everything has mind. As I mentioned to someone here a week or so ago, panpsychism does refute my position here that only brains have minds, and it does so coherently. But most people find panpsychism implausible if not outrageous.

-gts