[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 19 17:48:53 UTC 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 7:21 PM, Gordon Swobe wrote:

> programs manipulate symbols but they have no way to know what the symbols mean

A mechanical punch card reader from half a century ago knows that particular hole is a symbol that means "put this card in the third column from the left". How do we know this, because the machine put the card in the third column from the left.

> Any computer running those possible algorithms would have no understanding.

If understanding has no effect on behavior then who needs it, what's the point of it? I don't understand the meaning of understanding, or perhaps it's the meaning of meaning that confuses me.

> I simply don't know (nor do you or Searle) what role the neurons in the visual cortex play in conscious awareness.

Both of you are in luck because I do know. People who suffer damage in that part of the cortex are not aware of their visual environment. That's why it's called visual cortex.

> computer simulations of things do not equal the things they simulate

Does a computer do real arithmetic or simulated arithmetic?

> I think my consciousness might very well fade away in proportion to the number of neurons you replaced that had relevance to it.

You are talking about replacing atoms with atoms the scientific method cannot distinguish between that nevertheless produces a huge change. In short you are talking about a soul.

 John K Clark