[ExI] Why is there Anti-Intellectualism? (re: Atheism as somehow different than other religions)

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Sun Dec 27 18:07:33 UTC 2009

Il 27/12/2009 0.02, Tomasz Rola ha scritto:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Mirco Romanato wrote:
>
> [...]
>> After many decades of intellectualism, the common people have developed
>> (evolved?) a healthy distrust of the intellectuals, mainly of the social
>> intellectuals. In the future this distrust will probably grow stronger, as we
>> will reap the fruits of many silly ideas implemented as policies.

> Uhum... You know, I am not challenging you, but if you (or anybody) could
> give me a list of intellectualists (names, specialty area, you got the
> idea), whom I am to blame... And if you don't mind, for what exactly?

For example, Greenpeace is against the use of chlorine to disinfect
water. Could we consider the policy-maker of Greenpeace some intellectuals?

Why I Left Greenpeace
http://www.waterandhealth.org/drinkingwater/greenpeace.html
The return of Killer Chlorine
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/24/numberwatch_chlorine/

Dewey?
Supporters of Whole Word reading versus Phonics
http://www.improve-education.org/id58.html

The opposition to OGM by so many it is too long to list them (left,
center and right)

The prohibitionist of drugs?

The laws, in California for example, that force ex-sexual parters males
named by a woman as father of her child to pay even if they are not the
real father.
No-fault divorce with alimony [for the woman]?

http://laws.justsickshit.com/california-stupid-laws/

> Otherwise, it is encouraging my suspicion, that this "blame the stupid
> intellectuals/scientists/hackers/all-the-wiser-folk" story is just pure
> manipulation by someone who is trying to cover his/their trails.

It is evident you don't read the page I linked.
They are not stupid. They are smart. Very intelligent.
But they substitute the use of an expert system evolved and selected in
mammals to manage emotions and social relations with general
intelligence that is not able to manage and elaborate so much informations.
If you use a hammer instead of a screwdriver it is not strange that the
screws don't work as intended.

> Anybody? You can't imagine how happy I will be. Really. You can (kind of)
> make my day brighter.

Do you ever asked yourself why people in leading positions in academia
and politics (and sometimes also in industry and commerce) is so often
plagued with silly ideas?
Can they really be all so stupid?

Mirco