[ExI] Belief in Market Efficiency

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Feb 2 17:49:15 UTC 2009

painlord2k at libero.it wrote:
> Il 02/02/2009 13.22, Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
>> 2009/2/2 Damien Broderick<thespike at satx.rr.com>:
>>
>>> Unless you thought I was saying that *only* "Free market traders with
>>> education, enlightenment and refinement" owned slaves, and even I'm
>>> not that
>>> stupid.
>
>> No, but I don't see how a free market could by itself ever eliminate
>> slavery once it was established, perhaps as a carryover from more
>> savage times. Proclamations about personal freedom would be something
>> tacked on by do-gooders and world-improvers, who as we know are always
>> doomed to make things worse.
>
> History could show how free market is a mortal enemy of slavery.
>
> The South seceded because the North didn't allow the slavery to be
> established in the West.

The South seceded because of economic exploitation by the North.  The
rest are side issues.  It was also about the freedom, supposedly
guaranteed to secede and go your own way.

Slavery was becoming increasing uneconomical and was not at all the core
issue to most Confederates or to many Yankees for that manner.  Of
course once it got really rolling most *reasons* disappeared into the
immediacy of bloody civil war.

- samantha