[ExI] Human Futures: Comment to the Global Spiral!

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 07:18:30 UTC 2009

Spike wrote:

> Thanks Natasha.
>
> I haven't seen it discussed here, but I expect many here saw the treatment
> of one of our own former posters, Nick Bostrom, on page 73 of the January
> 2009 evolution issue of Scientific American.  I didn't like the commentary
> on transhumanism, but I think highly of Peter Ward, so I have said nothing.
>

> Perhaps someone could ask Nick to post his take on the article?  Anders?

I read the article you mentioned and the way the writer presented Nick
Bostrom's ideas about the future of humanity was both frightening and
depressing.  He quoted Bostrom at the end of the piece, regarding a probable
scenario where humans would need to be more and more upgraded & merged with
machines (to stay competitive) and as a result would become less and less
human in the ways we now treasure, in terms of love, family, children,
dance, literature, the arts, etc.,.  We would all become sucked into a
horrible cyber-darwinian reality.

*Nick Bostrom, "transhumanist bogeyman*"

John