[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 00:45:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:15 PM, hkhenson wrote:
> I wonder how a proposed paper, "Does successful transhumanism mean the end
> of religions?" would go over.
>
> I could definitely make such a case.  Presumably successors who were at
> least "weakly godlike" (to invoke Charles Stross) would have little use for
> religion.
>
> Such a paper could get into the EP case (cases) why religion is a species
> typical trait and why we might design it out if its root is in stone age
> population control via war.

I doubt if they would accept a paper like that.
They are the American Academy of Religion and are unlikely to support
a paper that would mean the disbanding of their organisation. They say
what they would really like in the Call.

Quote:
We particularly welcome papers that identify and critically evaluate
the implicit religious beliefs underlying key transhumanist claims and
assumptions. For example, what are the operative notions of
anthropology, soteriology, and eschatology that are at play in the
transhumanist quest for enhancement, including extreme longevity? We
welcome more overtly philosophical critiques of posthuman discourse.

They want criticism of transhumanism, not criticism of religion.

Also, you can submit the proposal as a non-member, but you have to
become a member in order to present the proposal or attend the
meeting.
So check the membership qualifications.
The AAR is for teachers, scholars, and other professionals in the
field of religion.
(not anti-religion!).

BillK