[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 01:07:42 UTC 2009

At 12:45 AM 2/20/2009 +0000, BillK wrote:

>Quote:
>We particularly welcome papers that identify and critically evaluate
>the implicit religious beliefs underlying key transhumanist claims and
>assumptions. For example, what are the operative notions of
>anthropology, soteriology, and eschatology that are at play in the
>transhumanist quest for enhancement, including extreme longevity? We
>welcome more overtly philosophical critiques of posthuman discourse.
>------------------
>
>They want criticism of transhumanism, not criticism of religion.

Well, "critique" means something other and broader than "criticism"
(understood to mean "attempts to demolish"), just as "deconstruct"
doesn't mean "destroy". However, like you, I sense that these guys
want to show that >H is a sort of debased and bogus variety of True
Religious Truth, a kind of cheap and nasty and misled naturalistic
appropriation of God and Heaven and Redemption. Which is what my own
earlier comment tried to address.

In reality, Western >H probably does contingently derive part of its
impulse from remnants of childhood and cultural Xianity, but as I've
quote before, the Marxist theorist and critic Fred Jameson identifies
a different and more persistent principle of utopian hope (which he
cites from Ernst Bloch): `the unexpected emergence, as it were,
beyond "the nightmare of History" **and from out of the most archaic
longings of the human race**, of the impossible and inexpressible
Utopian impulse here none the less briefly glimpsed: "Happiness for
everybody!...."'[1]

[1].Fredric Jameson, `Progress Versus Utopia; or, Can We Imagine the
Future?', Science Fiction Studies, No. 27, 1982, p. 157. He draws
here upon the Soviet brothers Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic.

Damien Broderick