[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 01:39:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> Well, "critique" means something other and broader than "criticism"
> (understood to mean "attempts to demolish"), just as "deconstruct" doesn't
> mean "destroy".

Hmmm.  I thought 'critique' was just a pretentious way of saying
'criticize', normally used by poseurs and academics.

Some dictionaries seem to think that way also. But I agree that the
verb criticize, once neutral between praise and censure, is now mainly
used in a negative sense. So maybe using critique is intended to be
not quite so negative.  Or maybe it is just pretentious.  ;)

BillK