[ExI] call for soteriology and eschatology papers that mention h+, was : CALL: H+ call for papers

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 20 01:49:10 UTC 2009

....On Behalf Of BillK
> I doubt if they would accept a paper like that...
>
> Quote:
> We particularly welcome papers that identify and critically
> evaluate the implicit religious beliefs underlying key
> transhumanist claims and assumptions. For example, what are
> the operative notions of anthropology, soteriology, and
> eschatology that are at play in the transhumanist quest for
> enhancement, including extreme longevity? We welcome more
> overtly philosophical critiques of posthuman discourse.
>
> They want criticism of transhumanism, not criticism of religion... BillK

BillK speaks with great insight.  The terms they use are ones ordinarily
used exclusively by religionists.  The term soteriology is the study of
salvation.  Eschatology is the study of the future as it relates to prophecy
and the end of human history at the apocalypse, i.e. when that guy
whats-his-name comes a whoopin ass and scooping up saints.  These terms are
familiar to all in the religious studies, but to few outside that insulated
world.