[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:39:59 UTC 2009

Wow your example is even more interesting. If alcohol has suddenly
stopped producing a high, this may be a good thing (liver problems,
high pressure etc.)... but then let's grow some weed or design some
new drug to get high anyway, and perhaps a lot higher, without the
undesired side effects!

G.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:54 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>> ...On Behalf Of Eschatoon Magic
>> Subject: Re: [ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers
>>
>> I think those who jump at the first mention of religion are
>> persons who had to make a big effort to free themselves from
>> religious superstition, and are afraid of falling back into
>> it anytime. Like those ex-alcoholics who avoid all parties
>> because they know they would not be able to resist the temptation...
>
> This is entirely possible, Esch.  My own case is a double opposite of your
> postulate, so I suppose that constitutes a proof of sorts.  I am entirely
> comfortable with all discussion of religion, and I have no fear of falling
> back into it.  Reason: I was happy in religion, tried for years to fall back
> into it.  But after I knew it was wrong, the spell was irreparably broken.
> I would be like an alcoholic who loved being a drunk, but for whom the
> alcohol suddenly stopped producing a high.
>
>> There are many bad things in religion, and there are also
>> many good things. ...My dream is repackaging
>> religion with the good things and without the bad things, and
>> compatibly with scientific knowledge and method, and
>> spreading the new memetic package very wide...
>
> If you can figure out a way to do that in a way that embraces skepticism
> instead of faith, reason instead of dogma, evidence instead of testimony,
> you will have accomplished a great thing indeed.
>
> spike

Eschatoon Magic
http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon
aka Giulio Prisco