[ExI] CALL: H+ call for papers

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Fri Feb 20 16:43:03 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 2:32:51 am Eschatoon Magic wrote:
> I think those who jump at the first mention of religion are persons
> who had to make a big effort to free themselves from religious
> superstition, and are afraid of falling back into it anytime. Like
> those ex-alcoholics who avoid all parties because they know they would
> not be able to resist the temptation.

Wow.  This set off a lot of my warning bells.  There are at least four logical
fallacies being made here, and maybe more.

FIrst, this is a stereotype.  You are ascribing the motives for some people
who jump on religion to all people who jump on religion.  This is a known
logical fallacy which is known to lead to unproven assumptions where you are
right and erroneous assumptions where you are wrong.  None of the cases are
logically good.

Second, this is a strawman.  This "conclusion" of yours will literally lead
you into arguing against your own imagined position for the other person
instead of what they actually profess.  Think about it.  Nothing they can
influence your response since your response is based on your statements, not
theirs.  There literally would be no talking to you.

Third, you are applying the motives of a subset of people (for which this may
be true) and are applying it as a universal for the entire set of people.  You
really don't know that everyone does this or that no one has a legitimate
reason to jump on religion.

Fourth, you are poisoning the well.  You are literally ascribing bad stuff to
anybody who would "jump on religion".  This pre-emptively states that religion
is good and anybody who disagrees is bad.  Anybody who objects will be labeled
in the way you are doing now.  Anybody who respond negatively (such as myself)
will be assumed to be anti-religion (even though I have said nothing about
religion).

Not to be too harsh here, but such "rules" or "assumptions" do not encourage
debate.  They hinder rational debate.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>