[ExI] H+ & religion call for papers

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 04:31:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Mercer, Calvin <MERCERC at ecu.edu> wrote:

> Damien has me think that the way we worded the call does imply that H+
> functions in certain ways like religion.  I'll have a discussion with the
> steering committee about cleaning up some of that language so that it is
> more reflective of what I think is the committee's intention, or certainly
> my intention, which does not presume this.

Is there a primitive usefulness of the principles underlying "religion"?
Have we (humans) outgrown that primitive usefulness?  I hear the H+
anti-religion message and wonder what is left for the majority if/when their
neurochemical dependence on supernatural hope is broken?  Does H+ offer a
methadone analog for the recently disbelieved, or is it cold turkey and
uncaring DIY reality?