[ExI] all michael all the time

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:49:34 UTC 2009

On 7/9/09, spike wrote:
>  Do clarify Harvey.  You are our local subject matter expert in the area of
>  all things having to do with cyber security.  Fox is claiming there were
>  major denial of service attacks and that the likely culprits were from North
>  Korea or possibly China.  Is the story false?  If true, is it unimportant?
>  If important, why are the news majors ignoring it?

For general news, I watch Google news and BBC news,
both of whom have covered the computer attacks on US sites.

<http://news.google.com/news?ned=us>
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/default.stm>

In Google Reader I also take the topnews RSS feed from Reuters,
who also reported the computer attacks.

<http://www.microsite.reuters.com/rss/topNews>

It is difficult, even for experts, to say where botnet attacks are
controlled from as the infected computers are not the original source.
So far it is only South Korea that has jumped to blame North Korea
(surprise, surprise!).
See:
<http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5680C220090709>

Quote:
Cybersecurity analysts raised doubts on Wednesday that the North
Korean state launched recent attacks on U.S. government and South
Korean websites, saying industrial spies or pranksters could be the
villains.
---------

BillK