[ExI] CA gay marriage vote/was Re: Iran's plan for their gay population

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 3 19:19:23 UTC 2009

At 11:36 AM 6/3/2009 -0700, Dan wrote:

>Why not accept, here, at face value, the notion that traditional or
>religious beliefs played a role* -- rather than rap

I was not attributing homophobia and misogyny to rap/gangsta et al,
but speculating that the latter are a pretty blatant expression of
the forces that help create the former.

>or "embattled masculinity"?  I think it's vaguely (if
>unintentionally) racist to presume (not saying you have)

Or Fanon the black psychiatrist?

>that Blacks don't have certain values and act based on these -- that
>they just react to whatever happened in the past.

That's an absurd reduction of what I wrote, but taking it at its
least implausible (since in a sense all of us react to whatever
happened to us in the past, as well as to our expectations for the
future): what are these distinctive values in black culture that you
discern as the basis for the homophobia of many (as indexed by
polls)? Pointing to Baptist faith or the like doesn't get us far
unless you explain what leads those ideological belief systems to
promote hatred of gays (supposing that they do).

Damien Broderick