[ExI] Inflatable tower could climb to the edge of space

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 00:56:12 UTC 2009

Spike wrote:
Keith, does the orbiting power station require a low latitude?  I would
think so.  If so, then this project will require Chinese money and a nearly
equatorial latitude, along with a really high mountain.  There is one, as I
recall from last time I looked into this, down below five degrees latitude
and 7 km high.  Keith do you recall where that is?

And so you are envisioning a multinational team building the space
elevator/tower?  I have my doubts that the United States government and
people would go for a joint venture with China, an economic and military
rival that might seize the space elevator in a time of crisis.  I have not
been closely following this thread, but has anyone extrapolated what this
project would cost?  And should be try building this within the near future
with current tech?  Or would it be better to wait 20-30 years when
super-nanosteel, etc., exists?

I love the roleplaying game "Transhuman Space."  It is set about 90 years
from now, where space elevators are a common thing.  The scenario given is
that the U.S. and China are the key players in space.  But that the Chinese
were more willing to settle large numbers of people on Mars who put down
roots, therefore China tended to dominate The Red Planet, to the
great consternation of the United States.

John