[ExI] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 18:47:47 UTC 2009

At 07:33 PM 6/17/2009 +0200, Stefano wrote:

>"Critical" or "criticism" may be swearwords for a few of us, but one
>should for instance realise how much the deconstruction of the idea
>that "human-ness" is a fixed, universal, eternal category to be
>protected at all cost has contributed - of course through
>innumerable intermediations and vulgarisations from academia down to
>media, fiction and pop culture - to the thinkability itself of a
>posthuman change, including in a strictly  transhumanist sense.

Indeed, in the sense that anti-essentialism is strongly
characteristic of all the "post-" doctrines. The difficulty is
perhaps that many clever ignorati of humanities departments get
terribly excited by this and rush about proclaiming that (say) gender
has *nothing* to do with sex, or that since science is a culturally
and politically situated activity it is therefore *entirely* socially
constructed. So people of this tendency are liable to see
science-oriented transhumanists as dupes of ideological reductionism
(which is a fair cop in some cases). Meanwhile, evolutionary
psychology and other newish disciplines have reinvigorated a *sort*
of essentialism, although one constantly in flux and open to modification.

Probably nobody will have the patience to read the extract I'll paste
in below, but this is how I saw the state of play a couple of decades
ago; I don't think it's improved since then:

============
          Within this reigning academic doctrine, the human person
has been unmasked as an ideological imposture. Do I overstate the
case? By no means. Regard Dianne Macdonell's quite representative
proclamation in an introductory book, widely recommended to beginning
students, on current discourse theory:

           "There is no attempt [in poststructural discourse theory]
to reinstate the human mind, or the individual author, or things
themselves as the source of the meanings of discourses. Discourse is
considered as a kind of whole whose organization, at any given stage
in history, `is irreducible either to the history of the careers,
thought and intentions of individual agents (the authors of
utterances) or to a supra-individual teleology of discovery and
intellectual evolution (the truth of utterances)'." (Macdonell, 1986,
p. 11, citing Colin Gordon, `Other Inquisitions', Ideology &
Consciousness, 6, 23-46)

           One can agree that discourse systems operate importantly
at a different level of abstraction from the single human mind. It is
true that in many ways, even most ways, we do not think--we are
thought through. If that is too strong, perhaps this will do: to a
very great extent, the words and sentences we speak or write are
circumscribed by the culture which has taught us to be the people we
are, and within which we learn new things--but only certain
allowable, thinkable new things.
           We are human within an episteme, a systematic if not quite
totalitarian frame that enables cognition and action. Every educated
person now knows that this is so, just as we know that the earth is
not the centre of the universe (although the earth still looks flat
when we stare at the horizon)... For all that, any theory that
declines to accept the human mind, or the individual author, or
things themselves as at least *a* source of meaning seems to me
shockingly dangerous, no matter with what benevolent intentions it is
advanced. [...]

           Let me try to convey exactly how bothersome this
discursive shift can be to a participant with different
preconceptions. Not long ago I sat dumbfounded in a seminar as a
handful of academic staff and twenty or thirty sharp-witted
postgraduates in matt black and Doc Martens listened with benign
approval to the claim that AIDS is an effect of discourse. (I was the
one in jeans and red tee-shirt and Dunlop sneakers and leather
jacket.) When my disbelief could no longer be held in check and I
blurted out that I was sure I'd heard somewhere that HIV was a virus,
a quasi-lifeform infesting the human immunological system, forty or
sixty shocked eyes regarded me with no less disbelief. Hadn't I read
Sontag? AIDS was a syndrome, a kind of social contract, a
construction, a textuality. The positivistic medical approach
implicit in my question was plainly arrant reductionism, too absurd,
even vile, for further discussion. I realised slowly that what I
faced was a heart-breaking flight from reality, dressed up in
pathological terminology. The pitiful truth is that almost everyone
infected with the HIV virus dies within a few years, however they
deconstruct their plight. And however much you talk about it, you
can't get AIDS without direct physical viral invasion of your blood,
your tender membranes.
           As advised, I read Sontag's opinions in AIDS and Its
Metaphors. Her piercing intelligence, of course, had disposed in
advance of just such preposterous cant. From the outset Sontag
insisted that, like the cancer she had overcome through chemotherapy,
this affliction must be treated by specific toxic medical
interventions and not holistic claptrap.
           There again, I suppose, if the text is radically
indeterminate, perhaps contrary constructions--reading against
Sontag's grain--are not simply possible but imperative, and the more
the merrier.
           I don't think so.
           I sat in another seminar and heard a wryly clever scholar
enumerate theories of Dracula and vampirism, by the mid-1990s a
fashionable topic from popular culture. Again, understandably, the
rhetoric of AIDS was not far away: all that perverse erotic charge,
piercings, sharing of blood, wasting and ruin. Neither was
patriarchy, domination and submission, even the crisis of colonial
empire. I was hardly taken aback to learn that a notable scene where
a young woman sucks at Dracula's torn breast is at once a reverse
figuration of the phallic or vaginally-dentated mother, a
sexual-abuse victim forced into fellatio, a phallocratic seizure of
the power of lactation and the menses, a blasphemous troping on the
Christian eucharist, and all of these simultaneously, because
deconstruction's textual enthusiasm dotes on paradox and over-coding.
I did not allow myself to give way to even a moment's scepticism
until we heard that this exchange of vampiric fluids might be
construed most rewardingly as a semiotic information flow, like a DNA
transaction. Stifling my laughter, I looked about furtively. Thirty
or forty young people in black skirts, trousers, jumpers, long coats,
heavy bone-crushing boots and pale faces listened contentedly to this
delicious silliness, some taking languid notes, one or two nodding in
sober agreement.

           Tactical Stupidities

A characteristic if extravagant deconstructive reading of the current
episteme in support of this general tack is Vincent Leitch's:

           "Textuality invades critical production. The free play of
the signifier migrates to and decenters critical readings and
writings. We recall Foucault's radical program, his strategy, for
writing history: employ parodic exaggerations, multiply
discontinuities, and institute tactical stupidities. The text of the
scholar renounces order, objectivity, and truth; it denies any solid
or secure, any nontextual, language... The scholar's text, a
production of a deconstructed subject, sometimes of a libidinous
`hysteric', disseminates meaning beyond truth or totalization. It is
the birth of a frolicsome `science', a playful `hermeneutics' of
indeterminacy..." (Leitch, 1983, p. 224)

           Now there are simple, philistine ways to go wrong in
complaining about this shift in paradigm. Many onlookers, locked in a
defunct metaphysics, are aghast that the explicitly antihumanist
relativism of both literary and scientific meta-theorising has
completed the Copernican revolution. `Man' (more properly, the human)
as well as `God' is finally expelled from the centre of the universe.
Pre-determined meaning has gone with them. While I have my own
objections to extreme forms of deconstructive free-play and
antihumanism, that belated dethronement is an attitude with a lot to
recommend it.
           Alas, however, merry Transylvanian games and rather less
merry stupidities with lethal diseases are not the worst costs of
contemporary theory. Obliterating the human subject as a
comparatively stable source or site of values is, all too often, the
unacceptable price of entry into the diverse programs of posthumanist
theory. Kate Soper has expressed this well, in her Humanism and Anti-Humanism:

           "The real problem lies not in the assertion of the
structured nature of experience, but in the conceptualisation of
individuals as no more than social `effects'....  Within the confines
of such a theory, one can no longer speak of individuals as
`dominated' by social structures or in need of `liberation' from
them, since they are not thought of as beings with `interests' to be
affected." (Soper, 1986, pp. 105-6)

I do not wish to be tedious about this. Poststructuralism was
immensely useful in hauling Anglo-American-Australian critics and
other cultural theorists out of their dogmatic slumbers. Each
solitary act of writing and reading, we now see beyond doubt, is
political at the core. Languages are the coding systems through which
we are made human, and they are generated and stored by a massively
distributed, vibrantly interactive cultural network before being
inscribed--to some partial and idiosyncratic degree--in young
individual brains, which then grow up to be nodes in that
culture-net. (Some readers, of course, will be as repelled by such
metaphors drawn from computer science as I am by talk of `truth
effects' and `author-functions'.) This, it seems to me, is how we
enact our humanity together, or against each other.  There's no
literature or science free of the political, free of its enabling
theory, any more than there is a personal dimension utterly isolated
from its enabling culture.
           Yes, but what is the place of writing/reading--to pose an
explicitly political question--in a social order shaped by the power
of science and technology? Can contemporary literary theorists offer
an answer which provides some hope of liberation from the human
misery in which their reading is steeped?  With the person now no
better than an `effect of discourse', for whom is theory speaking?

[THEORY AND ITS DISCONTENTS]