[ExI] Posthumanism vs. Transhumanism

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:33:36 UTC 2009

2009/6/17 Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc>

>  Yes, this may all be true, but it does not change the circumstances if it
> is only written about on Transhumanist mailing lists. The issue I am
> referring to is outside our internal environment.

Absolutely. This is why I, and others, are doing our best to encourage
public debate and to overcome wariness and reciprocal snubbing between
non-consciously-transhumanist-yet-but-"promethean"-and-anti-luddite
posthumanists, on one hand, and the transhumanist culture and community as
can be met on these lists and a few orgs and paper/Web publications around
the world on the other.

I also dare say that even the transhumanist side has something to learn from
such exchanges. "Critical" or "criticism" may be swearwords for a few of us,
but one should for instance realise how much the deconstruction of the idea
that "human-ness" is a fixed, universal, eternal category to be protected at
all cost has contributed - of course through innumerable intermediations and
vulgarisations from academia down to media, fiction and pop culture - to the
thinkability itself of a posthuman change, including in a strictly
transhumanist sense.

--
Stefano Vaj