[ExI] Meta Rand

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 14:09:41 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 6/18/09, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 05:24 PM 6/18/2009 -0700, Keith wrote:
>>> During the last twenty years or so Atlas Shrugged
>>> has began to be
>>> translated into various languages so we will see
>>> if the work does well
>>> in non-English speaking countries.  Atlas
>>> Shrugged does have the
>>> difficulty of being written in the 1950s and
>>> focused on trains rather
>>> than airplanes.  So it has an "older" feel to
>>> it.
>>
>> If it is out of copyright, someone *could* produce a
>> modern version with a text editor.
>
> Rand died in 1982. Copyright currently is death + 70 years.
> ("As a general rule, for works created after January 1,
> 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author
> plus an additional 70 years." But 1923-63, from publication
> (in this case 1957): "28 years + could be renewed for 47
> years, now extended by 20 years for a total renewal of 67
> years. If not so renewed, now in public domain." You can bet
> your bippy Dr. Piecrust extended it.) You might want to
> postpone that revision until at least 2052...

My guess is whoever holds the copyright (I'm not sure it's Peikoff) is probably a Randroid and unlikely to allow any tampering with the text -- save for tampering by fellow Randroids.  (On the latter, I believe I recall the Peikoff camp witholding publication of certain Rand texts that clash with their interpretations of her and also with their current positions.  This is not to say Rand was better than her followers would have us believe; my guess is she's both better and worse.)

Regards,

Dan