[ExI] Private and government R&D [was Health care in the USA]

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 16:53:18 UTC 2009

2009/6/28 Max More <max at maxmore.com>:
> The Failure of Centralized Scientific Planning
> A review of Sex, Science and Profits: How People Evolved to Make Money
> Ronald Bailey | May 20, 2008
> http://www.reason.com/news/show/126584.html

Just for the sake of discussion ;-), I have read a few years ago a pretty
specular presentation of the idea that the market would be per se
structurally incapable of delivering technological breakthroughs.

Even though the authors admit that a few are owed to private companies, they
maintain that even in such cases the R&D programmes concerned were
invariably funded and initiated, directly or indirectly, by a public demand
whose ultimate goals concerned international more than commercial
competition (e.g., at a prestige, academic, political or military level).

And, as it can be expected, the authors are not American, but French. :-)

La recherche et la technologie, enjeux de
puissance<http://www.amazon.fr/recherche-technologie-enjeux-puissance/dp/2717845933/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246207894&sr=1-1>
de
Valérie Mérindol, David-W Versailles, et Patrice Cardot.

--
Stefano Vaj