[ExI] More on sortition

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Tue Jun 30 21:57:48 UTC 2009

Dan ha scritto:
> --- On Sat, 6/27/09, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:

>> You could not be aware of it, but sortition is a proposal done by
>> the Berlusconi's government to reform the self governing body of
>> the magistrates in Italy. The current problem is the heavy
>> politicization of a part of the magistrates that protect each other
>> from disciplinary action due to their partisanships or lack of
>> professionalisms.

> You mention "proposal."  Has it had any traction?  I wonder if
> sortition is being applied anywhere right now.

I don't think there is so much traction in the legislature.
For sure, the magistrature is very hostile to any and all reforms that
reduce their irresponsibility and their privileges.

If any reform have any traction, I foresee a barrel of inquiries about
the parties and the politicians supporting the reform from hostile
public accusers. And a larger barrel of "indiscretions" coming out from
their offices and published in the newspapers (as usual).

The problem, for them, is that Mr. Berlusconi was the target of so many
inquiries that people voting for him don't give a damn about what they
say now (the last is an accuse about enabling prostitution in his
mansion in Sardinia).

Mirco