[ExI] More on sortition

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:05:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Mirco Romanato<painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
> Dan ha scritto:
>> --- On Sat, 6/27/09, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:
>>> You could not be aware of it, but sortition is a proposal done by
>>> the Berlusconi's government to reform the self governing body of
>>> the magistrates in Italy. The current problem is the heavy
>>> politicization of a part of the magistrates that protect each other
>>> from disciplinary action due to their partisanships or lack of
>>> professionalisms.
>
>> You mention "proposal."  Has it had any traction?  I wonder if
>> sortition is being applied anywhere right now.
>
> I don't think there is so much traction in the legislature.
> For sure, the magistrature is very hostile to any and all reforms that
> reduce their irresponsibility and their privileges.

By the way, I strongly support sortition in this context myself.

But, hey, I am a practising lawyer, and in Italy the bar and the
bench/prosecution hate the guts of each other (Italian judges and
prosecutors belong to an entirely separate body/career and have never
independently practised law in their life, which is only emphasised by
the non-existence of juries in either civil or criminal trials), so
who am I to say? ;-)

--
Stefano Vaj