[ExI] global warming again.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 23:36:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:

> How do you propose to prevent fission neutrons from making vaporized
> rock radioactive?

I don't, actually. :-)

I just wonder whether the relevant increase in radioactivity could ever be a
match for the "billion of deaths" preconised by GW and oil-peak
prophecies...

> Please explain the orbital mechanics of going from a nuclear powered
> cannon launch to GEO.  Earth escape I can see, but how do you propose
> to match with GEO?

Orion Project does not have anything to do with a "cannon". For all
practical aspects, it is a pulse rocket like the V1, if I am not mistaken,
albeit an unconventional and large-scale one. See, e.g.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29>

> How do hydrogen burning rockets contribute to carbon emissions?

In fact, as I said, only *very* marginally, by burning the environmental
carbon close to the launch area into CO2. More or less as a military nuclear
bomb does.

OTOH, isn't the "nuclear winter" effect supposed to cool the earth out of
the airborne debris generated by each launch?

--
Stefano Vaj