[ExI] punishment

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 27 02:34:32 UTC 2009

> ...On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
>
> I don't know of any societies where people are told, "OK,
> fine" when they announce they wish to kill themselves, at
> least not unless they fulfil certain strict criteria. The
> same considerations that apply to other suicidal people
> should also apply to prisoners... Stathis Papaioannou

One can imagine certain cases, such as when a person has committed a really
foul act and is deeply remorseful to the point of misery, and is facing a
loooong sentence, and has money and is a believer in cryonics.  If those
criteria are met, it seems merciful to offer the prisoner cryonic suspension
at her current age.  Reasoning that she might have a better chance at
eventual reanimation if she is frozen relatively young and healthy, she
might opt for the more controlled conditions.  This would compare favorably
to the very real possibility of dying quietly in her cell, not being
discovered for many hours, or being beaten to death by another prisoner,
possibly damaging the brain, etc.

Society would save big bucks.