[ExI] punishment

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 03:10:37 UTC 2009

> One can imagine certain cases, such as when a person has committed a really
> foul act and is deeply remorseful to the point of misery, and is facing a
> loooong sentence, and has money and is a believer in cryonics.  If those
> criteria are met, it seems merciful to offer the prisoner cryonic
> suspension
> at her current age.  Reasoning that she might have a better chance at
> eventual reanimation if she is frozen relatively young and healthy, she
> might opt for the more controlled conditions.  This would compare favorably
> to the very real possibility of dying quietly in her cell, not being
> discovered for many hours, or being beaten to death by another prisoner,
> possibly damaging the brain, etc.
>
> Society would save big bucks.
>
> spike

But is this fair, considering that other prisoners might want to do this,
but don't have the money?  As to the other matter, I don't see prison staff
cooperating with a prisoner who wants to be cryonically suspended upon their
death within the system.

We can only hope that any convict/cryonaut allowed to do this, would find
him/herself awakening within a culture far more just and merciful than the
one we currently live in.

John