[ExI] punishment

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:19:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't know of any societies where people are told, "OK, fine" when
> they announce they wish to kill themselves, at least not unless they
> fulfil certain strict criteria. The same considerations that apply to
> other suicidal people should also apply to prisoners.

Well, no ordinary citizen is subject to the efforts and restrictions
deployed to avoid inmates' suicide. But my point was: since it is debatable
whether a life sentence is better or worse than a death sentence, and/or
what purpose exactly exists that may justify serving it from a societatal or
individual POV, what's would be wrong in offering a choice? Aren't we all
pro-choice, after all? :-)

--
Stefano Vaj