[ExI] To Arms!

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:26:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> I say "good"! Assimilate or else!

Mmhhh, I do not follow you that much on this one, even though such a
position is nowadays shared by Guillaume Faye, an author I was criticised
for having translated in Italian, in particular in his
transhumanism-relevant writings.

In fact, I disapprove of unregulated immigration and the trading of manpower
as of assets exactly because it tends to destroy diversity and popular
sovereignties in the world, both in the departure and destination countries,
to the detriment of  specific features - such as European tolerance or
secularism - which some of us may hold dear.

"Assimilation" implies on the other hand the typically islamic (or rather,
monotheistic) idea that non-believers can and should be forced to see the
error of their ways and be "converted" to a universal truth.

Now, while I am only too favourable to a spontaneous evolution of muslim
views in a direction more compatible with mine, I have no special desire to
"digest" massive numbers of allogenous individuals cut out from their
communities and traditions and imported like cattle, along with their
beliefs, in my own, in the hope that the global entropic melting pot
originating from the process ends up being not-too-unacceptable from a
"western" view.

Ultimately, I think they should be allowed to protect and maintain their own
cultural identity - and that it should be demanded in return that they
respect mine, without, say, claiming for the enactement of laws on my
territory that be compliant with their own tradition.

Ultimately, a diverse world with different legal systems and well-defined
local popular sovereignties and ways of life is also IMHO the best bet for
transhumanism, allowing the deployment of competitive mechanisms and
preventing the global enforcement of legal or "moral" prohibitions against
technological and cultural developments which may be conducive to a
posthuman change.

--
Stefano Vaj