[ExI] Reading material

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Nov 18 04:03:26 UTC 2009

On 11/17/2009 9:44 PM, JOSHUA JOB wrote:
> I am looking for a book on transhumanism written from a more extropian
> point of view. I am in a living/learning community at Georgia Tech which
> is focused on "human augmentation," and we have been doing a book club
> as part of that. We've read "Radical Evolution" by Joel Garreau and are
> just finishing up "Citizen Cyborg" by James Hughes. Hughes' book is
> written from the point of view of a democratic transhumanist, and I was
> wondering if there was a book on transhumanism more from a
> libertarian/extropian sort of view. I think this would give us a good
> contrast, and spark some good discussions. I looked at the reading list
> at http://www.nanotech-now.com/transhuman-books.htm , but I didn't see
> anything that was manifestly along those lines.
>
> The closest book I can think of would be Ray Kurzweil's "The Singularity
> is Near" but I was hoping there might be another option, as that book
> is, apparently, dry to some people

My book THE SPIKE isn't written from an extropian perspective, exactly
(I'm in favor of a transitional guaranteed income, for scandalous
example), but it contains a fair bit of quoting or paraphrase from
people on this list, going back to the mid 1990s.

And I doubt that it could be called "dry."  :)

Damien Broderick