[ExI] discordant red shifts

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 07:59:52 UTC 2010

On 4/18/10, spike wrote:
>  Hi Pat, ja I do fully agree it is amazing, mind boggling, to imagine an
>  eccretion disc so damn hot and dense that it spews mind-boggling amounts of
>  energy sufficent to appear as they do.  It is puzzling that whatever caused
>  those discs apparently stopped doing it relatively soon after the big bang.
>  These are things I cannot explain, however it is possible for me to imagine
>  the existence of a superheated eccretion disc a few weeks or even a few days
>  in diameter.  I could even imagine that globs of matter undergo spontaneous
>  fusion just before it falls over the event horizon, even though quasar
>  theory doesn't have that in there as far as I know.  I tried to use that
>  line of  reasoning to imagine black holes nearby, associated with Arp
>  galaxies, but I can't get the equations to work out, without having the
>  black holes bigger than their Arp galaxies, which would cause major
>  gravitational distortion to the galaxies.
>
>  That being said, if anyone can find a mistake the reasoning for the quasars,
>  and can explain these puzzling fireballs, I will rejoice loudly in the
>  streets until the nice men in the white coats carry me away.  This quasar
>  puzzle has been bugging me for over 30 yrs now.

I'm calling the men in the white coats now.   ;)

It is suggested that quasars have jets and the exceptional brightness
happens when we line up with the jet.

Quasars seem to be a feature of the early universe when a lot of
material was available to be eaten by the central black hole of the
galaxy. The quasar eats material at a prodigious rate that cannot be
maintained. So in the older universe, after the excess material has
been eaten, the galaxy becomes a 'normal' galaxy with a quiet central
black hole. The exception is when two older galaxies collide and more
material can fire up the quasar again.

See:
<http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/active/quasars.html>
also