[ExI] iPAD hype?

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Apr 27 19:03:40 UTC 2010

BillK wrote:
> On 4/21/10, Post Futurist wrote:
>> The current issue of Newsweek says iPAD will revolutionize it all,
>> including "reading" and "watching".
>> What is it going to be? wall size HD? a holodeck? why the hype?
>> it is good enough on the face of it; why the oversell? why do these
>> things have to be made to sound like the Second Coming?
>>

> It's called marketing.
>
> The iPad is an entertainment device. The ads are not aimed at techie
> computer types. They are not the main market. Apple is aiming to sell
> millions of iPads to people with spare cash who want to watch movies,
> listen to music, read books (even!), check their Facebook page every
> 15 minutes, etc.
>
> As one reviewer said, the acme of computer technology is now aimed at
> a market segment that grunts and points.  ;)

Hardly.  Survey the thousands of apps out there and tell me they are all
grunting and pointing.  Think of the iPad as roughly a super-digital
legal pad.  I would much rather carry this form factor to a meeting or
onto a plane than my laptop.   For what I want to do there it is a
better device.  Now of course as soon as I get there I have something I
want to do that I can't do on it.

- s