[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Apr 28 04:35:27 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of samantha
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today
>
> spike wrote:
> > ...Getting humans waaaay the hell out
> > to 2.6 AU is pretty much out of the question for now...

> I am talking about ATENS which are around 1 AU.  So where
> does 2.6 AU come from? - samantha

It occurred to me that those close-in asteroids must be out of the plane of
the ecliptic.  Otherwise the gravitational influence of the other close-in
planets would have messed up the orbit by now.  The 2.6 to 2.8 AU asteroids
were formed by a planetary collision with something big, so that debris is
in the plane.  If the asteroid is very far out of the ecliptic plane, the
amount of delta V needed to get to it is appalling.  We might be able to use
the moon to get some out-of plane delta V however.

Samantha do you have a reference which gives the Atens' angle to the plane?
Did you have in mind sending actual proles out there?