[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Apr 28 22:51:53 UTC 2010

spike wrote:

>> ...On Behalf Of samantha
>> Subject: Re: [ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today
>>
>> spike wrote:
>>> ...Getting humans waaaay the hell out
>>> to 2.6 AU is pretty much out of the question for now...
>
>> I am talking about ATENS which are around 1 AU.  So where
>> does 2.6 AU come from? - samantha
>
> It occurred to me that those close-in asteroids must be out of the plane of
> the ecliptic.  Otherwise the gravitational influence of the other close-in
> planets would have messed up the orbit by now.

They do not last long in those orbits true enough.  And how they are
replenished is in part an open mystery.  But in the meantime there are
enough of them of sufficient size to be worth exploiting.  Also some of
the Amors come close enough to exploit during parts of their orbit.
Most are not that far out of plane.  Many are in plane.

> Samantha do you have a reference which gives the Atens' angle to the plane?
> Did you have in mind sending actual proles out there?

No, only reports.  I will look for one. There have been probes exploring
near earth and other asteroids.

- samantha