[ExI] will raise bugs for food

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 00:27:26 UTC 2010

2010/8/4 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

> This is something I have been thinking about for years, raising bugs for
> food:
>
> http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-08/humanity-needs-start-farming-bugs-food-says-united-nations-policy-paper
>
> It just seems like with all our technology, we should be able to figure out
> some way to eat the little bastards.  They have been eating us for all this
> time, and eating our food.  Failing that, we should at least be able to
> figure out how to make them eat each other.
>
> I never did find out if a mosquito will bite a tick.

I think people generally freak out because of the crawlies and
crunchiness.  "Ew, eat a bug? no way"  But if we generally had any
exposure to livestock with the same frequency as local bugs we'd
probably think, "Ew, eat a pig?  They're gross"

I don't think it's going to take a huge amount of technology as much
as psychology to start eating bugs.  Although if the FDA approves an
unintelligible name for "bugs" on the ingredients list of
manufactured/processed foods we won't know or likely care - as long as
they don't remove any of our salt, fat, or HFCS.

I'll eat bugs.  I'm just not going to start catching my own any more
than I catch my own chickens, fish or cows.